Wednesday 14 June 2023

So I Went Seeking by Femi Osofisan (Okinba Launko)

So I went seeking
In the forest of the world

I went to the lion who roared and said
Come closer now, I’m hungry

I asked the elephant
Who picked me with his enormous
Trunk, and dropped me in a nowhere land

I asked the antelope
Who could not wait to answer—
But from what was he running so?

I asked the birds,
Starting with the peacock
Who merely laughed with a spread of wings

The tortoise kindly left word
That he’d gone to a feast
With his brother the politician out of jail

And I wore the length
Of the morning, walked the whole noon
Till I was worn, and it was dusk,

And so it was only
In the evening, far in the moonlight’s arms
That I found you, my

Lovely dream.

Femi Osofisan (Okinba Launko)
Babafemi Adeyemi Osofisan is a Nigerian professor and writer born on June 16, 1946 in Ogun State, Nigeria, who is well-known for his literary works that criticize societal issues and incorporate African traditional performances and surrealism in some of his plays. His plays often revolve around the struggle between good and evil. He is a didactic writer who aims to rectify the decaying state of society through his works. Additionally, he has written poetry under the pen name Okinba Launko.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...