Saturday 28 November 2015

Young Africa's Plea by Dennis Osadebay

Young Africa's Plea

Don’t preserve my customs
As some fine curious
To suit some white historian’s tastes.
There’s nothing artificial
That beats the natural way
In culture and ideals of life.
Let me play with the whiteman’s ways
Let me work with the blackman’s brains
Let my affairs themselves sort out.
Then in sweet rebirth
I’ll rise a better man
Not ashamed to face the world.
Those who doubt my talents
In secret fear my strength
They know I am no less a man.
Let them bury their prejudice,
Let them show their noble sides,
Let me have untrammelled growth,
My friends will never know regret
And I, I never once forget

Dennis Osadebay

Dennis Chukude Osadebay (29 June 1911—26 December 1994) was a Nigerian politician, poet, journalist and former premier of the now defunct Mid-Western Region of Nigeria, which now comprises Edo and Delta State. He was one of the pioneering Nigerian poets who wrote in English.

Follow us on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Argue in favour or against line 19

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem is nice, you can checkout my blog for interesting Literary works too. Thanks Https://campus247.com.ng

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, you can check the link in my comment profile for the analysis

    ReplyDelete

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...