Friday 9 June 2023

I too sing Cameroon by Sarah Anyang Agbor

I too sing Cameroon¹.

I am the ninth and tenth provinces

Or is it regions?

I just want to be human,

Not superhuman

Accepted as a person


I know how you perceive me:

“Traitor”, “Opposition”, BamiAnglo²

A figment of your own imagination.

Why do you see an Anglophone and you hear-

“Gunshots!? Crisis!? Protests!? Grumblings!?

You got criminals! We’ve got criminals!” 


I too can feel

I too can dream 

I too can lead.

But you look down on me

And call me “Anglofou”³

You say you are the top dog 

And I the underdog.

Now I am the country nigger “Anglofou”

Now I am the house nigger. 


Tomorrow 

When the stakes are down

Will it be my turn to look down at you?

Will I call you “Franco Fool?”

Or will I call you brother?

That tomorrow will surely come

No one will dare say to me: 

“Anglofou”⁴; “Parlez Anglais”⁵

“Les Anglos-la”⁶


Besides, I have walked up the ladder

With the virus of bilingualism

And I will sit at the table

And you will see the good in me. 


I too, sing Cameroon!


1. Inspired by the talk on Harlem Renaissance, DVC series at the American Embassy in Yaoundé on 28-09-2007.

2. A Bamileke who has grown up with English as a second language, hence, such a person is a Bamileke from predominantly French-speaking Cameroon by origin and Anglophone by culture.

3. Anglophone fool; crazy English-speaking person

4. An abusive term, most often used by Francophones, to denigrate Anglophones.

5. Speak English

6. Those Anglophones  

Sarah Ayang Agbor is a Cameroonian poet and writer. She was born in the 1980s in Nso, a village in the North West region of Cameroon. She is known for using her poetry to address social issues affecting women and girls in her community. Sarah Ayang Agbor is a talented writer and a passionate advocate for social justice. Her work continues to inspire and empower women and girls in Cameroon and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...