Thursday 2 December 2021

The Sun

 The Sun
by Seun Lari-Williams 

In winter, I watched as the sun barely bothered
to get out of bed in the morning (as though
terribly ill), only to shut its eyes again
not long after.

In summer, I could swear I saw it rise
at just a few minutes past midnight, 
and then relentlessly refuse to go to sleep
at night (like a toddler).

As one whose sub-Saharan skin had only 
ever seen the sun rise and set
really about the same time each day,
I thought to myself:

How drastically different a fundamental fact 
can be to a traveler.
Even you, glorious, ancient sun – 
you, too, have taken a stab at my tiny little bubble.

Seun Lari-Williams was born in 1987. He attended Badagry Grammar School and studied law at the University of Lagos where he served as President of the Law Society. His first anthology Garri for Breakfast was longlisted for the 2017 NLNG Prize for Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...