Wednesday 1 December 2021

Lockdown

Lockdown
by Collen Xumalo

I am on lockdown in a small shack
praying hard, hoping Mr. Pres hear my cries
no need to send soldiers,they worsen da attack 
da hunger will probably kill me b4 da virus does 

I'm on lockdown with a monster inside da house
 I only feel safe when I play outside 
my step dad touches me like I'm his spouse 
he took my virginity & killed my pride 

we're on lockdown under unbearable conditions 
people shout "stay at home" from afar 
judging us based on what they see on television 
vivid pictures, they can't see our scars 

we have been on lockdown all our lives 
fighting to escape, see da sunshine & stay alive

Collen Xumalo

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...