Saturday 11 December 2021

I Don't Know by Abike Benson

I Don't Know

I don't know, and I won't pretend to know
I don't know bad. Do I know good?
Witchcraft was her means
She got all for them making others cry
Her own children are nobles
No one knows the secret
And then she dies.
It is a befitting burial. Golden casket
Food and wine like a flowing river
Sound of music everywhere
Then it is testimony time
"Abiyamọ tòótọ́ọ́" they praised her
But is she really good?

I don't know, and I won't pretend to know
I don't know ugly. Do I know beauty?
What a dark face!
Wrinkled hands, all covered with hair
Monkey can be ugly
Its mother always see differently
How convenient?
You call it ugly
Or you don't just like it?
It is in the eyes of the beholder
It is what it seems to you
But is it really ugly?

I don't know, and I won't pretend to know
I don't know love. Do I know hatred?
Riches attract with fleet of cars and affluence
He is a royalty. She easily falls for him
How convenient?
Beauty attracts with gorgeousness
She will have crowd controlling problem
I mean men controlling problem 
Is it really love?

I don't know, and I won't pretend to know
I don't know life. Do I know death?
I'm alive. Or so I think
Maybe I am not. Am I just confused?
But those in heaven live still
When they are dead here 
The living dead!
I cannot explain the expression.

I don't know, and I won't pretend to know
I don't know generous. Do I know stingy?
I thought I knew
Until someone was given a cap
And had his head taken from him
Beware of money givers
What if he's buying virtue not for sale
How then can I know?
Trade by barter ring a bell
But never found its synonym.

Words can be misinterpreted
Actions misjudged
The physical eyes have limitations
A think lining covering the mind
Not like a big bowl,
The stomach cannot be opened
Many ambiguities in a single line
Relativity of words driving me crazy
How can I know if I don't know?
And why should I misjudge?
Concluding almost impossible
If I don't know. Yet, won't pretend to know.

Abike Benson

2 comments:

  1. Neither do I know ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 this is so good

    ReplyDelete

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...