Wednesday 24 June 2015

How Can I Go On by Margaret Sammy


How can I go on,
When the world is chasing me
A race I might never win,
My legs fail me.

I need help,
Not encouragement
Why won’t they listen to me?
I can’t run anymore,
I am just a girl,
Tomorrow’s woman I’m out of breath.

Can’t you hear me?
I might be trapped in a box,
With my talent strapped in my pouch
I plead for a moment to be heard,
To be seen,
Please don’t say no

If I do my part,
What about yours?
I am human, Not a machine,
Listen to me,
I beg to be heard


© Margaret Sammy (June 2015)
Margaret Sammy is 10 years old and a sixth grade pupil of Vine International School, Port-Harcourt in Nigeria and a girls’ rights writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...