Monday 29 June 2015

Boy on a Swing by Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali

Slowly he moves
to and fro, to and fro,
then faster and faster
he swishes up and down.

His blue shirt
billows in the breeze
like a tattered kite.

The world whirls by:
east becomes west,
north turns to south;
the four cardinal points
meet in his head.

Mother!
Where did I come from?
When will I wear long trousers?
Why was my father jailed?

Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali

Oswald Mbuyiseni Mtshali was born on 17 January 1940 in Kwabhanya, he is a South African whose works have been commended within and outside Africa. He writes both in Zulu and English languages.

2 comments:

  1. I need this full poem or story where can I get it

    ReplyDelete
  2. please is that the whole poem? if no, please I want the full poem but if yes then thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...