Monday 29 August 2022

Like a Firefly... by Segun Akinlolu (Beautiful Nubia)

Like A Firefly…

Did you see the effulgent moon
When it fell the other night?
I was there in its bright showers
Glowing, I sang my ecstatic abandon
And caught your eyes in a crowd.
We were there, both of us, in your eyes.
We plucked the rainbow and rode its arc,
Sliding down each bar of colour
We heard solemn laughter woven in blinding hues.
We were free then in an instant
All our pains dissolving
We sat and smelled the moist earth
I gathered the sand, gathered you
We danced and laughed…
I am still right here where you left me
Deep in your liquid eyes
Your eyes call
Your lips, in their smack, a dare
I am caught and I need to know now,
What resides in your wink?
What, this dare in your stare?
Wet is the ache you left me
I seek you (and I am foolish to)
I seek to roam the deep tunnels of you
I seek the hills and the valleys
The pliant and the sodden
I seek your rivers
I will swim, and drink and drown
I seek your efflorescent core
To burn in my desperate need
Tender ball of fire, lick me!

Segun Akinlolu

Segun Akinlolu popular known as Beautiful Nubia is a talented musician and guitarist. He is a graduate of University Ibadan, he is the author of "Waiting for the Bones", "Thinking Big", "Sounds of Joy", "Book of Songs, Citadel Blues", "A Wordmerchant's Logbook" (an anthology). He has recorded numerous mind-blowing albums and has won the hearts of decent music lovers in Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...