Monday 29 August 2022

Can't You See? by Segun Akinlolu (Beautiful Nubia)

Can’t You See?

I am so happy,
So happy I haven’t eaten
In three weeks and a night.
In your eyes I see confusion,
Oh well, my happiness I can explain-
I have seven sons,
They live in our marbled mansion
Under the bridge at Falomo;
I’ve got a wonderful woman,
She wears her suffering well
You can see her if you look carefully
At Agege, with our last son
Under a multi-coloured umbrella
Safe from the sun and the rain
Naked to the world.

I feel so secure
I’ve got friends in high places
Some of them are in heaven, others in hell
They died just as they lived,
Despised and lonely
But really, what more can a man ask for
Than a chance to have his rotten body claimed
By the Task Force on Pollution
And be given a state burial,
What more?

We don’t whisper here-
We cry, we shout, we groan
We sigh, we gasp, we moan-
No, we don’t whisper here.
We don’t linger here-
We run, we jump, we drill
We kick, we grapple, we kill-
No, we don’t linger here.
We don’t gather here-
We crouch, we huddle, we bend
You are hot, you are cold, then… you are dead!
No, we don’t gather here.
Who needs people anyway?
Alone, I came into this world
Alone, I will leave!

I am so rich,
So rich I feel like them
Our men in high places
Maggot-meal in flowing agbada
But, why should I not be happy?
I’ve got seven sons under a bridge at Falomo,
I’ve got a wonderful woman
At Agege under an umbrella,
And I’ve just found me a new one
She’s only eighteen but she’s seen the world…
So, why should I not be happy,
What more can a man ask for-
Some coins, some rags, a bridge,
A chance to have your rotten body
Claimed by the Task Force on Pollution
And be given a state burial-
What more can a man ask for?
You tell me, what more?

Segun Akinlolu

Segun Akinlolu popular known as Beautiful Nubia is a talented musician and guitarist. He is a graduate of University Ibadan, he is the author of "Waiting for the Bones", "Thinking Big", "Sounds of Joy", "Book of Songs, Citadel Blues", "A Wordmerchant's Logbook" (an anthology). He has recorded numerous mind-blowing albums and has won the hearts of decent music lovers in Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...