Saturday 15 August 2015

Letter to my unborn child by Batsirai Chigama

Letter to my unborn child

Child
I want you to be proud in your skin
So comfortable no one can convince you otherwise
Be weary of brain-pickers i would say
Those who will pick on your brains with shamboks
Like they did on the backs of grandma
In the cotton plantations
Just like your daddy
You will be gifted with brawn
But child that does not mean you are to be a slave
And when you are old like these locks
Tying my world together, at 8
I want your world to be open
To limitless possibility
I want you to be brave
Just like me when I brought you into this world
To labour for your own happiness
To strive to cut the fences, prejudices
Around the skin you will unashamedly be proud of
Child I seek you to find
All-weather wings
A heart as warm
I want you to find love
Give love
And above all, I want you to be you…

Batsirai Chigama

Batsirai Chigama is an erudite Zimbabwean poetess. Her poems have been commanding audience all over African continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...