Thursday 6 August 2015

A Proud Old Man by Citambi Zulu

A Proud Old Man

They say they are healthier
than me,
Though they can't walk to the
end of a mile
At their age I walked forty at night
to wage battle at dawn
They think they are healthier than me
If their socks get wet they
catch cold,
When my sockless feet got wet,
I never sneezed,
But they still think they are
healthier than me
On a soft mattress over a spring
bed
They still have to take a sleeping
pill
But I, with reeds cutting into my
ribs
My head resting on a piece of
wood,
I sleep like a baby and snore

They blow their noses and they
pocket the stuff.
“That is hygenic” so they will
say.
I blow into the fire, they say
“it's barbaric”
If a dear one dies, I weep without
shame
And if someone jokes I laugh with
all my heart
They stiffle a tear as if crying is
something wrong.
No wonder they need psychiarists!

They think they have more power of will
than me
Our women were scarcely covered in the
days of yore,
But adultery was a thing
unknown.
Today they go wild on seeing a slip
On a hanger!
When I have more than one legitimate
wife
They tell me hell is my destination.
But when they have one and countless
mistresses
They pride themselves in cheating
the world.
Nay, let them learn to be honest first
themselves
Before they persuade me to change my ways.

Citambi Zulu

3 comments:

  1. please what is the main point

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please give the allitration,theme ,analysis and all the information of the poem.

    ReplyDelete

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...