Monday 6 July 2015

Mama Preye's Ogogoro (Mama Preye's Local Gin) by Robert Nabena

Each drop I gulp,
burning my throat,
As the morning sun comes alive
Lifting my senses,
And setting my eyes aright
Mama Preye's tap,
Never ending,
Never dry

Jolly old friend,
Uniting clans at dawn
From Zarama to Kula,
Opu Nembe to Saka,
Through paths where canoes dread.

each icy drop,
Embracing my entire being,
Burning down her path,
As hot as the sensation
She leaves on my lips.

Light as a feather,
I take a peep through her bottle,
The blurred lines
From her lens,
Enough effect for a day.
Mama Preye's bottle
Never ending,
Never dry

Robert Nabena

Robert Nabena is a Nigerian author and contributing
writer for various journals, magazines and newsletters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...