Friday 3 July 2015

Stolen From Freedom Street by Robert Nabena

Fierce attacks on Mama Nneka's hut,
Swift, painful and brutal blows dealt
Trapped in a net,
A metal sling around my wrist,
I heard Mama Nneka scream
At the end of freedom street

Stolen, bought or sold against my will
A lonely traveler
On a lonely journey
Beyond the Atlantic
Tortured, stripped and chained
Amanze never knew much pain

Caged like rats,
I lay still on racks
Dirty racks befitting my price
Covered in kernel oil
We bay in Queens country
Awaiting my day of auction

Ape that I am
The rest of my life
Decided by a stranger
I am a slave
A lonely traveler.

Robert Nabena

Robert Nabena is a Nigerian author and
contributing writer for various journals, magazines
and newsletters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...