Wednesday 31 May 2023

For My Mother in her Mid ’90s by Ama Ata Aidoo

For My Mother in her Mid ’90s

Long
complex, complicated stories:
heart-warmingly familial and sadly colonial.

You know how
utterly, wonderfully
insensitive the young can be?

Oh no. We are not here talking adults
who should know better,
but never do.

Aunt,
I thank you for
being alive today, alert, crisp.

Since we don’t know tomorrow,
see me touching wood,
clutching at timbers, hugging forests:

So I can enter young,
age, infirmities
defied.

Hear my offspring chirping:
“Mummy, touch plastic,
it lasts longer!”

O, she knows her mama well.
The queen of plastics a tropical Bedouin, she must travel light.

Check out the wood,
feel its weight, its warmth
check out the beauty of its lines, and perfumed shavings.

Back to you, My Dear Mother,
I can hear the hailing chorus
at the drop of your name.
And don’t I love to drop it
here, there, and everywhere?
Not missing out by time of day,

not only when some chance provides,
but pulled and dragged into talks
private and public.

Listen to the “is-your-mother-still-alive” greeting,
eyes popping out,
mouth agape and trembling:

That here,
in narrow spaces and
not-much-time, who was I to live?
Then she who bore me?

Me da ase.
Ye da ase.

Ama Ata Aidoo

Ama Ata Aidoo is a Ghanaian author, playwright, and academic. She was the first woman to receive a degree from the University of Ghana and went on to become a professor of English at the same institution. Aidoo has written several books, including the novel "Changes" and the play "The Dilemma of a Ghost." She is also a recipient of numerous awards, including the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book in Africa and the African Literature Association's Lifetime Achievement Award. She died on the 31st of May 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...