Wednesday 3 November 2021

Fogetting...

Remi Raji

As sure as the deceptive day 
you're the only cell in my stem 
the stomata of unending songs,... 

Because I crave your lips, and you're not here 
I want to forget you, haunted by the paradox in the air 
you're the only thing whose epilepsy I have loved 
and I have known betrayals not like yours... 

Your contradictions have become the theorem

of what it is to love and laugh in the gutters of despair 
But I'm also a paradox, born into the treachery of dim decades 
I have survived other lives and many deaths. 

I want to forget, 
I want to forget your face 
I want to forget your face in my fear 
I want to forget my fear in your face 
I want to forget my fear in your face forever... 

Because I am possessed, my songs for you will not end 
And though the abuse persists 
it is in your tears that the diamonds shall grow. 
One day when you go out with me, if I live to hold your sight again 
the evening will wear a new name, and your familiar places painted new. 

I will be the resurrection, you the lives of many who are silenced now.


Remi Raji

Remi Raji is the pen name of Aderemi Raji-Oyelade, a Nigerian poet, scholar, literary organiser and cultural activist. Raji’s first collection of poems – A Harvest of Laughters (1997) – has won national and international recognition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Celebrants, a poem by Ken Saro-Wiwa

The Celebrants They are met once again To beat drums of confusion Tattooes of mediocrity They are met once again The new cow to lead To the ...