Thursday, 8 October 2026

Night by Wole Soyinka

Your hand is heavy, Night, upon my brow.
I bear no heart mercuric like the clouds, to dare.
Exacerbation from your subtle plough.

Woman as a clam, on the sea's cresent.
I saw your jealous eye quench the sea's
Flouorescence, dance on the pulse incessant

Of the waves. And I stood, drained
Submitting like the sands, blood and brine
Coursing to the roots. Night, you rained

Serrated shadows through dank leaves
Till, bathed in warm suffusion of your dappled cells
  Sensations pained me, faceless, silent as night thieves.

Hide me now, when night children haunt the earth
I must hear none! These misted cells will yet
Undo me; naked, unbidden, at Night's muted birth.

Wole Soyinka is one the most honoured African poets. He is a playwright, poet, lecturer and an activist. He was awarded the Nobel prize in Literature in 1986 being the African to be so honoured. Wole Soyinka was born on 13 July, 1934.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Full Summary and Analysis of Night by Wole Soyinka: WAEC, NECO and JAMB Recommended Poem.

Here is the video presentation of the complete summary and analysis of the poem, " Night " by Wole Soyinka. In this analysis you w...